Re: Gaskets

Tom Mandera wrote:

> I kinda asked this before, but...
>
> If I start yanking things off the top end of the motor, is it a "must do" to
> replace the gaskets?  Or is it, "Gee, the works already done.. how much is a
> new gasket gonna run ya?" type of affair?
>
> It's possible I might get ambitious (or decide I've just slept too darn much
> in recent nights) and tear things apart if the compression check says I
> should... then again, I've never had a good look-see inside anyhow... but if
> once I loosen those bolts I'm committed to buying new gaskets, I'll think
> twice..
>
> -Tom (just waiting for 5 o'clock...)
Tom-

A few words-yes, once you get the thing apart, replace every gasket that
you can!  They will most likely crumble as you take them apart anyway!
Valley Pan gasket is famnous for being a pain in the ass.  They always
squeeze out and flatten out so much that they tend to leak, or at least
look like they will and you get paranoid about them.  Use RTV or
whatever that stuff is, and a gasket too if you can.
Also, don't sweat the procedure at all.  I did it and actually got
everything back together right.  This was not the source of my recent
problems.  Just use tape and label everything!!!!  Wires, hoses, etc.  A
diagram is not as good putting things back together as it appears when
you look at it before it is apart.  Put bolts and connectors in zip-lock
bags and label them.
With some of the stuff you've done, head gaskets will be simple-thought
they are heavy as hell!!!

Michael-

The IHdiot