Gaskets

I kinda asked this before, but...

If I start yanking things off the top end of the motor, is it a "must do" to
replace the gaskets?  Or is it, "Gee, the works already done.. how much is a
new gasket gonna run ya?" type of affair?

It's possible I might get ambitious (or decide I've just slept too darn much
in recent nights) and tear things apart if the compression check says I
should... then again, I've never had a good look-see inside anyhow... but if
once I loosen those bolts I'm committed to buying new gaskets, I'll think
twice..

-Tom (just waiting for 5 o'clock...)