Coolness vs. reception

>From: "Eppinger.Michael" <Eppinger.Michael@domain.elided>
>Subject: CB attena mounting question for the experts
>
>IH all,
>I know there are some CB guru's out there, so here is a question about
>the attena mounting.  I have a Terra with a fiberglass top on it.  I
>have a magentic mount attena, that I am using with my cb.  I was
>thinking of adding a metal "pole" to the rear bulkhead, so the attena
>would stick to the top of this pole.  I figure that I would make the
>"pole" about the height of the cab top, so the attena would be above the
>terra top.  Will this work well, or does this affect the infamous
>"ground plane" effect that you want?  Anyone have some input on this.
>Is this worrying over a gnat's @ss? or is this a poor performing idea?
>
>Epp

Epp,
I love the looks of my whip mounted behind the gas cap on the driver's
side rear, but I'm not suggesting that that is the best place for
reception. It just looks so cool! Tom M. drew me a diagram and put with
it an explanation of how other solutions are so much better, but they
don't look as good.
John H.