Re: Questions for a 61 Scout 80

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, M Edler <m.m.adler@domain.elided> wrote:

> Okay I just got a 1961 Scout 80 with a rebuilt engine 1971 4 cylinder
> 196.  It has a Weber 2 barrel carb.  Here are my questions...

Congratulations on the purchase!  I will answer what little I know, and
hopefully, others, more knowledgeable than I, can answer the rest.

>         ?  Recommended mufflers/headers (The thing sounds like a sick
> import
>             motorcycle) I would like it to be better on gas and quieter?

There is a thread currently on the mufflers, I think debating about
Flowmasters vs. glasspacks etc.  Check up on that.

>         ?  Is there a better carb or is there a recommended K&N air
> filter I can slap on?

I have a 1 bbl Holley on my '66 152, so don't think I can help too much.
As for the air filter, you can probably figure some way of mounting just
about any K&N to the carb.  Just find out what other vehicles the carb was
on, or find an air filter housing that fits on the carb, and find a K&N to
match.  That is what was done with my Scout, as it originally had an oil
air filter.

>         ?  Has anyone done disc brakes on the front or rear of these
> vehicles?
>             (I have a Dana 44(rear) and a Dana 27(front))

Yes, they have on the front.  The back I don't know about, but there is
some conversion that Warn (I think??) sells for the Scout II Dana 44 rear,
but I would imagine the axle splines are different between an 80 and a II,
but I would also imagine that if one wanted to badly enough, it could be
done.  As for the front disks, there is a good FAQ on the Binder Bulletin
page about doing the front conversions.  It naturally requires some
fabrication...

> > ? A great place(s) or source to get a catalog(s) for early > scouts
>             (something that gives the ability to make a wish list)

Check out the IH webring.  It is a lot easier than using the search
engines, trust me!!
<http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=ihc&list> will bring up a
list of all of the pages on the webring.  You can also access it through
the digest homepage, just scroll down until you see something about the
webring.  The webring will allow you to see all of the vendors homepages,
and request catalogs, if they have one.

> Thank you in advance for all those who respond and the ihc-digest.
>
> Matt

May I make a suggestion??  The first thing that you should buy, if you
haven't already, is a parts and service manual.  If you plan on doing a
lot of work on the Scout, these can be invaluable.  I haven't had much of
an opportunity to use mine, but I do plan on it.  They will run about $100
for the set, and you can get them from Binder Books.  Get those, and THEN
start your wish list!  Good luck.

Dan Felix
1966 Scout 800 - "Sweet Machine" running again
1965 Scout 80 - parts on a pallet
1964 Scout 80 - rolling parts