Original Text
From: jeff tarquinio@eng@emchop1, on 8/31/98 2:30 PM:
Mike,
	As I read your post and the issues with your acceleration from stop
lights, my first reaction is that your accelerator pump isn't pumping.  As
you step on the gas, the throttle plate opens, and a rush of air charges
the intake.  If there isn't a rush of fuel to go with it, the engine, for
all intensive purposes, runs out of gas.  In truth, it runs too lean to
fire.  As you let off the gas, it returns to a mixture condition under
which it can run.  With gradual pedal, it can run through the main jets
without starving for fuel.  With a properly working accelerator pump, a
squirt of gas gets shot into each throat of the carb and it keeps it from
dying.  You said you just reinstalled your carb, I am assuming you just
rebuilt it. The first time I rebuilt my Holley 2110, I thought I fixed
everything up nice only to find my accelerator pump still wasn't working.
There is a check valve at the end of the pump's channel where it feeds up
to the nozzles for the throats, the valve was stuck/rusted shut and would
never let any fuel flow by it.  The way to test it with the carb apart is
to pour some gas into the pump's reservoir (cylindrical thing, integral
part of the bowl) and push the plunger into it.  If gas shoots into your
eye, it works.  If not, you've got issues!  The way to get it unstuck is to
fill the reservoir with carb cleaner and work the plunger.  Hopefully, if
you force enough cleaner into the channel it will work the rust out of the
valve.  The valve is just a plug with a point on it.  When that thing hits
you in the eye followed by a squirt of carb cleaner, you know you've got
it.

If you already did this, forget what I said, and sorry for the wasted band
width.;)
See ya
Jeff T '77 Terra 345/T19/D20