Re: SeekingEngineRearSealAdvice

In a brilliant stroke of genius, alice@domain.elided blurted out:

>I have a nasty oil leak in the rear of my 196 engine.  I assume the
>rear seal has perished.  NAPA showed this part to me (large ring),
>priced at about $35.  Is this too much to pay?  Does NAPA source
>a quality part?  Anybody been here before to advise me?  Thanks!

That's the street price at NAPA, but you may wish to call around to see if
another auto parts store has a less expensive one.  An alternative is to
see if you can buy one from a local bearing / seal supplier (look in the
yellow pages under bearings.  I will post the seal part number to the
Digest when I get home so you can call a bearing supplier (I have my old
seal laying on my work bench).

The seal is pretty big and I'm sure is manufactured of viton rubber to
withstand years of heat and the effects of oil.  Thus the higher price.  I
wouldn't expect to pay much less than $25.00 no matter where you go.  But
the seal is more or less common and not exotic.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model