Re: Mufflers

A few years back, Hot Rod magazine did some actual Dyno
testing and found that they got more horsepower and torque
with some high flowing type turbo mufflers than straight (open)
pipes.  They were using headers, of course.  I'm not sure the
same appies when using cast iron manifolds.  It seems that
the engine actually wanted 'some' backpressure, but not
too much.  I think they put a factory muffler on to prove this
and got much less HP and torque.

Perhaps this is the reason for the belief that the turbo mufflers
have less backpressure than the glasspacks.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup