ignition

I pulled out my IH shop manual and my Chiltons Truck and Van repair for
1971-1978 books. The IH manual says the resistor is there to protect the
points from having to pass 12V under normal run conditions. The by-pass
is there to allow TWELVE VOLTS to the coil at start up especially in
cold weather. My Chiltons (I'm sure this is in the IH manual to I just
didn't look for it until I opened the Chitons) says that the external
resister is a .43 Ohms resister. If you do the math then you find that
V*Ohms=lost V or what is left after the resistance has been powered.
Therefore 12*.43=5.6V That is where the 5V at run comes from.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Trak-Lok. One Ugly and Trusty Truck
covered in mud! Thinking about throwing a couple of big buckets of mud
on it just before I get to the fairgrounds!

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.