Re: Re[2]: GM HEI coils

In a brilliant stroke of genius, jmbrodsky@domain.elided blurted out:

>        I can get a spare gold box for about $35.  Get the Ford LX405
>     instead of the IH.  AND, carry a spare reluctor.

Where???  Around here the cheapest quote I could find was over $60.00 for a
new one.

>        If this pertronix is the way to go, can it be put in without
>     the electronic 'internals' of the IH disty?  What is under the
>     reluctor anyway?

Now I haven't tried it, but knowing how the Holley distributors are made
(I've taken them apart and put them back together many times), I'm 99% sure
the Pertronix Ignitor will also pop right into the electronic distributor
after removing the sensor.  The magnet wheel should sit right on *top* of
the reluctor (just like it does on the cam of the breaker-point
distributor).  The mounting plate where the sensor is fastened is exactly
the same between the two types of distributors.  In fact, besides possibly
having a different advance curve, the only difference between the two
distributors is the part of the shaft which has the cam or reluctor (I
forget the exact technical nomenclature) on it.  Other than one having a
machined and pressed on reluctor wheel, and one having the machined in
place breaker-point cam, there's no difference to that part either.

>        My 74 has points, and the gold box is on the wall still, just
>     unplugged.  I'd like to figure out what wires got switched
>     (Allan?) and then see what to do. Points, are pretty easy to
>     maintain, and field servicable, so why are they so bad?  Why does
>     everyone here want the pertronix?  Points are like $10 and you
>     can get these out of any car almost anywhere?

Points aren't bad... they just have shortcomings that electronic ignition
systems have overcome.  Electronic ignition is simply *better* in most
ways.  That doesn't mean points are bad for an application such as a
typical IH engine.

>        I think I am missing some key point here, that will lead me to
>     the Grand Unified Theory of IH.  Please enlighten my young mind.

You're missing a few screws Joel... that's all.

>     -Joel Brodsky
>
>         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
>                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
>                Not much sport, all utility.
>         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
>                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
>                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
>                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
>                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
>         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
>                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
>                NEED A FAN SHROUD (the 'deep' one) Some Assembly Required.

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model