Re[2]: GM HEI coils

     OK everyone how about this.

        I can get a spare gold box for about $35.  Get the Ford LX405
     instead of the IH.  AND, carry a spare reluctor.

        If this pertronix is the way to go, can it be put in without
     the electronic 'internals' of the IH disty?  What is under the
     reluctor anyway?

        Pertronix + Gold Box?   with no other B.S.?

     If this is do-able, then a spare pertronix, and a spare gold box,
     is WAYYY cheaper than MSD/Jacobs/mallory/etc. electronic
     anything!?

        What am I missing?  In 8 years I've had to do a gold box in
     the Scout once (about 5 years ago).  I used to leave the key on
     while I did stereo stuff.  However, if they last as long as they
     do (the factory gold box is in my 75, the oldest it could be is
     1980?) how did it last so long so far, and break only when we
     internet guys/gals get ahold of them?

        My 74 has points, and the gold box is on the wall still, just
     unplugged.  I'd like to figure out what wires got switched
     (Allan?) and then see what to do. Points, are pretty easy to
     maintain, and field servicable, so why are they so bad?  Why does
     everyone here want the pertronix?  Points are like $10 and you
     can get these out of any car almost anywhere?

        I think I am missing some key point here, that will lead me to
     the Grand Unified Theory of IH.  Please enlighten my young mind.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                NEED A FAN SHROUD (the 'deep' one) Some Assembly Required.