Re: Ignition reliability?

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, Doug Rasmussen
<76075.2276@domain.elided> yelled:

>  Any thoughts on this?

Well Doug,

Since my MSD failure, I was initially forced to go back to breaker points.
I was running a .050" gap with Bosch Platinum plugs that had clocked over
20,000 miles.  It wasn't long before I noticed a little bit of rough idling
and harder starting.

My new Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition arrived which I ordered the
day of the MSD failure.  When I installed it, I went ahead and replaced the
plugs and used a .035" gap this time.  So far I love the Pertronix Ignitor.
It was simple to install (a 10 minute job), and to be honest, I can't tell
the difference in performance or starting from the MSD 6A.  Fuel economy
hasn't suffered.

The Ignitor costs about $75.00 delivered and it carries a 30 month full
warrantee.  The best part is that you still retain ignition redundancy by
being able to put the points back in the distributor, yet you don't need
the points (and their related shortcomings) as a trigger.  The Ignitor
module is tiny and is completely sealed from moisture or dirt.  It only has
two wires to connect... one for power and one for the coil.  AND the best
part... your tach should work normally.

If I had to do it all over again, at this point I would have skipped the
MSD box and gone straight to the Pertronix Ignitor.  Heck, for *less* than
the cost of the MSD system (and *way* less than the Jacobs), you can get
two Pertronix Ignitors and ditch having to use points in your "primary"
ignition system (and toss them in your glove box for your "backup" system).

Just my $0.02 worth.

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the
Conservative Libertarian         |Senate...for an outright ban, picking up
Life Member of the NRA           |every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America
WA Arms Collectors               |turn them all in, I would have done it."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | - Senator Feinstein on banning firearms
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |   in America, CBS's 60 Minutes in 1995