Ignition reliability?

  I've been wondering about the reliability of electronic ignition systems.
  Most of us have had some experience with the infamous "gold box", and I
don't consider that to be a reliable ignition system.

  Mainly, I'm thinking about aftermarket systems like MSD & Jacobs.  We've
had 3 recent  digest reports of breakdowns,  John Landry & Steve Stegman
with MSD's and my Jacobs.  I had more or less decided to replace my Jacob's
with an MSD (I don't like the thought of giving any more money to Jacob's).
 I talked to my local speed  shop, who will almost match Summit prices, and
they claim to sell "hundreds" of  MSD's per year.  Of those hundreds, they
see less than a 10% failure rate.  That's curious, less than 10% failure
rate per year.  How much less than 10%, 9.99%?  The fact that he said "less
than 10%" tells me it must be fairly close to 10%.

  At this point I'm debating whether to get a new system or not.   I'm sure
my Jacob's gave me quicker winter starts, maybe more power, maybe better
mileage, plus not having to set points, etc.  But I'm wondering about long
term reliability versus cost.  Jacob's cost me around $70/yr given it's 3
year life.   A complete MSD box + coil would be about $170 (Summit).  I've
also been told my tach won't work with MSD, new tach $50.    Is it worth
it?

  Any thoughts on this?

Doug