Re: Can't keep fuel in!!

Steve Garland wondered about his gas cap:

>1962-ish Scout - I'm I the only one who has a fuel cap that leaks like a
seive or what?
And what is the material that is used as the seal, it's like a cross
between
leather and cardboard.( is this special american technology?? grin)  What
ever it is, how the hell do you replace it when it is no longer working?and
with what? and if that isn't hard enough my fuel is diesel.

Please  help, I consstantly have diesel oozing out and down the side of my
scout mixing with the dirt and sooty exhaust, making a real mess<

Steve,

  The *ONLY* solution I've found to the leaking gas cap problem is to have
an adaptor machined that uses a  screw-on gas cap like the newer cars use.
I had the same problem of leakage even with brand new caps.

Doug, who hasn't got any leaks (from the gas cap, at least)