Re: Scary

>Tommy, my boy, I find that scary. It seems to me that we are really
>fortunate to have half a continent separating you and Dan Nees with his
>Pinelanders.

;)

>I was just talking to John L. and he was wondering why you guys feel the
>need to destroy your vehicles as opposed to restoring them to better than
>new, and when you feel the need to do something daring, change the wax
>you are using to polish them. (made up story)

I don't feel a need to *destroy* my Scout.  When damage occurs, it's due to
a reason.  Either *I* lack the skill, the truck lacks the right combination
of modifications, or I just plain shouldn't be there.

Generally it's reason #1 or #2... even when it *is* #3, I still blame it on
#1 being so stubborn/stupid.  :-)

Sitting out the TuffTruck competition on Saturday night wasn't easy for me..
I was itchin' to race... *bad*.  Bad enough, I almost cannibalized my
friend's racer for 4 31" tires to put on my Scout, since the 33s rub...

He didn't enter his CJ7 for the same reason... the competition really shows
off the shortcomings of your truck.  If the tires don't quite clear while
trail riding, they will slam hard and shred while racing... if you have fuel
delivery problems while idling up a hill, you'll have worse problems at full
throttle around an obstacle course.

So when I cause damage, it's a sign to me that I didn't do my "job" quite
properly.. there are shortcomings to be overcome.

>I knew at Monroe that the 196 was doomed to go, and just as with my own
>kids, I just say, they have to do what they have to do. Actually, I'm

I really do feel bad pulling the 196.. it has been a good motor, sadly just
a bit underpowered in my current truck.  Do not fear, it will not be lost!
My original plan, upon hearing of this race chassis, was to drop the 196
into it, and keep tire size small, gearing low.. and rip n' roar with a 4cyl
Binder motor.

Turns out this 304 and drivetrain will be available for almost nothing..

It may turn out the 196 gets a mild rebuild (125k on it, and it's getting
sloppy), and hold onto it until I find another Scout II for mom....

Just the 196 doesn't have the pep I need now.... and I haven't found a cost
effective way of supercharging it, and while Nitrous Oxide would work... it
would get expensive very quickly. :-)

>really glad you are having so much fun with all this new and expanded
>adventure.

Racing is in my blood.  My father wrapped a few cars around trees in his day
while racing... my Uncle used to remove the governors from his go-carts to
race 'em faster.. 'till the motors blew.  Then he started building drag
racers and dune buggys and all sorts of fun things... I guess I just can't
help myself...

It is fun... heck, even the tractor pull in Monroe was fun... the real
problem started when I drove my Scout in the "dog-bone" flat dirt track
racing in Denver.. that was my downfall.. letting myself have a taste.... :-)

-Tom