Nich's cooling problem

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 05:05:44 GMT
From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
Subject: Re: cooling

I would agree with john here

>Around town and
>backroads 180, on the highway it climbs up to 200-205, pull off and let
it idle drops down to 180.

>My 76 Traveler with a TF727 auto tranny, V345, thermostatically
>controlled fan clutch, 3 core radiator, 180 degree Stant Superstant
>thermostat, and coolant filter runs as follows...

     180 degrees at idle in almost any weather
     175 to 180 degrees on the highway when air temp is below about60.
     185 to 190 degrees on the highway when air temp is above about80.
     190 to 210+ degrees when pulling an 18 foot travel trailer.

>These temperatures are taken at the side of the thermostat housing.

But my thoughts would add

>My questions are, is the location as accurate as the thermostat
housing?

The side and top of the housing( like such chevys and fords) are within
milli-degree's of each other.

>is it getting too hot on the highway, and why? I need to get this taken
care of quickly before going on a four hour trip to the Nationals.

It almost sounds like the clutch fan is not disenguagine on the highway.
remember ram air from highway speeds is much more than the fan will draw
in.

 I would think about o'haulin the cooling system. Go to napa and get a
180' thermostat 3 gal coolant and rad cap. I was on the way to the
Deschutes River for a weekend of camping and fun, and the scout gave me
nothing but trouble with 3/4 on the guage. I finally pulled of at The
Dalles and sent my lady to the auto store got the t-stat and road side
put one in. I was reluctant to think it was the t-stat as to I just put
one in months ago, but it was a cheap oportunity. And @#$% if it didnt
fix the problem. Never got 1/3 on the guage all weekend.