Re: new dipstick tube with headers

jeff tarquinio was wondering about dipsticks:
>  My oil dipstick tube is rotted and broken, I would like to put in a new
one.  I'm assuming I have to drop the oil pan and braze in a new one.  Are
the parts available locally or will I have to mail order form one of the
scout places?  The other posibility is a front dip stick by the water pump.
<

Jeff,
   I had the same problem.  I tried to straighten my original and really
messed it up.

  Go to the autoparts store and buy a section of 3/8" pre-flared gas line.
Cut it to length to match your old tube.  The end that fits into the pan
has to be swaged slightly smaller to fit into the pan (down from .375
diameter to around .350").  Swaging the tube down can be a problem without
special equipment.  Go to a machine shop and have them put the tube in a
3/8" collet and progressively close the collet on the tube until it shrinks
to the correct size.

  The tube isn't brazed into the pan, it's just a tight fit.   Position it
correctly, with a slight bend and braze, weld, or solder a mounting strap.

  I've thought about making and selling new dipstick tubes for use with
headers.  I wonder why Stan's doesn't do this themselves?

Doug, who has a cool new dipstick tube that looks "factory" made