AMC 401

We've had this discussion before but....

I'm going to Bozeman tonight to do some work on a friend's 75+ Scout II
Racer... I'll be racing *it* this weekend (since I didn't get my 'cage
installed).  Currently running an IH 304V8 and a close ratio T19.

Erik drives a CJ7 on the trail... he recently pulled his very built and race
prepped AMC401V8 out of the CJ, and swapped a SBC350 and TH350 into the
CJ7... leaving a wild AMC401 without a home (supposedly, 3rd gear on the old
3spd, in high, with 35s, and the tires would start smoking)

He's thinking about dropping the 401 into his race Scout...

I know on a '74 or earlier Scout II with the T18 (or 3spd or Auto) and AMC
258-6cyl, the 401 swap is a simple thing.

Can a T18--> AMC258 bellhousing be bolted onto the T19 transmission, and
then slap the 401 in? (motor mounts, wiring, etc)  No input shaft changing
around, no moving the transmission back and forth....

If we can use the T18 bellhousing to put the 401 in, does anyone have a T18
--> AMC bellhousing?  Maybe someone that swapped the 258 out for an IH V8...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs