Tire problems

>Need help in a big way.  If anyone can drop a message my way on any of
>these questions, I will be much appreciative.  Ten years is long enough for
>this Scout to be sitting idle.  Besides, my new yard has alot of land for
>it to run and play on.
>
>Thanks,
>John W.

John,
What about air pressure in the tires?  The difference between 25 and 45
on a gravel driveway is amazing. You already recognize that the limited
slip isn't working properly, so all the torque is being applied to one
wheel. Also a 10 degree slope in grass and gravel is pretty significant.
I used to have a Ford pickup that on the flat would make no forward
progress on a gravel road.

One of the most recent 4WD magazines had a rundown on all the locker
options, so I hate to offer the same info again. In brief, Air Lockers
offer the most flexibility, but are expensive and not entirely fool-proof
unless very carefully done.

I like my Detroit Locker, but it is noisy with both a clunk and tire
chirping. Depending on what you're going to be attempting, maybe just
getting a posi that works in the rear will do the job for you.

At the risk of repeating myself, tire pressure is a major key to
off-roading. Try it in the same situation that frustrated you before. In
fact go to 15 lbs, and you may not be able to get the tire to spin.
John H.

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
"Perhaps more to remember than ever really happened"
Life Member, National Rifle Ass.     California Rifle and Pistol Ass.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group and MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"