Re: Is this a dumb idea?

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Jerry Whitteridge wrote:
> Not to change the subject but all the Land Rovers I drove in the
> military had a starter crank so you could start manually  -- it was a
> bitch to do but would work. Wonder how I could retrofit the concept to
> a Scout -- Tom any Ideas ????

Seems the only trick to this is getting a crank to stick out of the
grille without cutting a hole in the radiator.. put another "pulley"
attachment onto the crank or waterpump or whatever seems handiest.. a
special "pulley" that's more of a cylinder with some of those "one-way
turn" screw head type items inside.. and then a crank with the
appropriate pattern on it.  Thus, when you crank and the motor catches,
you should be able to slip the manual crank, and not break arms..