Re: final gear ratio

At 06:01 AM 08/16/1998 PDT, Jim Butterfield wrote:
>Bob
>You say a pig offroad, what type of trans did you have, Manual or
>auto??

727 Auto

>I would suspect a auto trans with a tall gear is a pig without
>some type of trans case down gear. I'll be running a t19 wide with a
>6.32 low end gear so slow grunt should still be about 39:1 big jump from
>the auto I had at 17:1. Wont be the big numbers alot of people go for
>but I dont really need 10000000:1 gear ratio. I'm thinking a 3:07 should
>really drop the rpm's , like below 2000 with 33's and 2100 with the
>current 31" tires.

I ran it through my gear ratio/mph chart:

31" tires, 3.54 axle gear, Dana 20
Trans gears 1:1 high, 6.32 low

2000 RPM is 52.13 MPH in high trans gear, transfer case in high
             4.06 MPH in low, transfer case in low
2400 RPM is 62.55 MPH in high trans gear, transfer case in high
             4.88 MPH in low, transfer case in low

32.5" tires, 3.07 axle gear, Dana 20
Trans gears 1:1 high, 6.32 low

2000 RPM is 63.01 MPH in high trans gear, transfer case in high
             4.91 MPH in low, transfer case in low
2400 RPM is 75.62 MPH in high trans gear, transfer case in high
             5.89 MPH in low, transfer case in low

Hope that helps,
Bob
77 Scout II