Is this a dumb idea?

Dear Inter-gesters,
After recently suffering a run-down battery in my scout due to the batteries
age, a freezing cold winter(down here), and it having to glow and crank a
4.2 litre diesel........I had an idea!! Why can't off road 4x4's that can
not afford to break down miles and miles away from anywhere have APU's (Aux
Power Unit) like larger aircraft to start the main engine??????
I'm thinking a 23cc ( weed eater type) 2 stroke to run up the generator to
recharge a flat battery or run other gear when the engine is shut down
camping etc. It could have a one way bearing so that the APU didn't turn
over in normal engine operation and just run a belt onto the existing
generator. It would be better than having a dual battery set up (lighter
too). No looking for a set of jumper leads or a tow when there is nobody
there to give you one, throw up the bonnet (hood?) tug the starter cord and
presto, your  battery is on it's way to being recharged. Just a gallon of
two stroke fuel on board and no more worries on a big trip about a dead
battery and having to push a start your scout.
Am I dreaming????

Steve ( give us a push & patent pending ) Garland
Somewhere in Australia.
(1962-ish Scout Ute)