Re: Painting a Scout

Brent Fleniken@WMI
08/13/98 10:39 AM
I normally just lurk around the digest but this one brought me out.  I also
got tired of messing with all the body work and decided that I would just
paint it for now and finish the final body work later.  I was quoted about
the same price ($400) from Macco.  I decided why waste $400 on a marginal
paint job that might last for 2-3 years.  If I ever went back and finished
all of the final body work that paint job would be ruined, so I went with
spray paint.  I took the top off my traveler and sanded the inside also so
I could paint it all at the same time.  I used the cheap $.99 per can
Wall-Mart spray paint and I must say that it turned out really well.  I
would take others advice and stay away from a dark color, mine is painted
sun yellow and has a few runs but unless you get real close it is hard to
tell that it was painted with spray cans.  The darker the color the easier
to tell.  I painted it outside in my driveway didn't use a booth but did
sand down the primer well and then wiped the truck with acetone.  It took
about three coats of the yellow to cover up the gray primer so I think I
used about 25 cans to paint both the inside and the outside of the
traveler.  I also painted the bed of the traveler with the black spray on
bed liner that comes in spray cans and am very pleased with it also.  Now
when I go wheeling I don't have to worry about screwing the paint up and
can finish the body work any time I want to.  I can also get the paint
anywhere.  Back to lurking!

Brent Fleniken
77 Traveler, 345, 727, "New" Sun Yellow Wall-Mart Paint Job