Re: How my MSD Failed Today! [WAS: The Commute From Hell]

As the sputnik-shaped fecal object hit the pavement, John Landry
<tapperdog@domain.elided> yelped:

>So Steve, I get to join you as a sad member of the MSD failure club.  All I
>can say is thank God I ditched the Mopar magnetic pickup I was using to
>trigger the MSD a couple of months ago.  Had I still been using it,
>converting back to breaker-points would have been considerably more
>difficult on the side of the road.  My first order of business when I
>arrived back at work was to place a call to Northern Auto Parts Warehouse
>where I placed an order for a Pertronix Ignitor conversion for the Holley
>distributor.  I've been wanting one for some time, but haven't had the push
>enough to get off my tush and order one.  After this little bit of freeway
>fun, I can't say enough for system redundancy!

Hmmm, I was hoping, just hoping, that *my* MSD problem and Steve's
MSD problems were statistical aberations.  However, the case against
MSD reliability is really stacking up:  Just like Steve, mine sat on
a shelf for about six months before I could get to it.  Hoping to have
it installed in time for RMIHR, I told my mechanic to toss it in with
a number of other mods he was making.  This mechanic (whose suspension
work is suspect) has a great reputation for engine work on the local
racing circuit.  Tons of experience with MSD.  Anyhow, he told me it
was broke out of the box, and as soon as he gets his hands on an MSD
tester, he'll verify that for me.  I might just consider an alternative...

Ken Farmer