RTI

I think long wheelbase rigs *are* penalized on the RTI Ramp... and on
purpose.  Remember that the RTI was designed to score *stock* (new)
vehicles... to give some type of "figure" that rated a rig's "off-road
worthiness" ...

Thus, perhaps a TJ can lift a front tire 10" (Yeah, I'm guessing here)
without lifting another tire... and maybe a Dodge Ram long-box QuadCab can
lift a front tire 10" as well....

But which, for the most part, is a better trail rig?  That LOONG RAM,
despite *articulating* the same, has a handicapped break-over angle (one big
tree stump in the middle of that long wheelbase could cause damage, whereas
on the TJ, you probably have to drive *over* the stump.... ever see a CJ2A
with 35s?  All tire, no frame between 'em)

Thus RTI is not to determine a rig's "flexiness" per-se.  Not articulation
*alone*

Simple fact is, one most trails where articulation is an issue, so is
wheelbase.. Mark Korsten was wondering how we would've gotten Gip's
Travelall up to Holy Cross City... even if it articulated as well as any of
our 100" Scout IIs, the extra length "negates" some of that flexiness... and
makes for a "less capable" *ROCK CRAWLER*.

OTOH, a Travelall makes a great mudder (long wheelbase) and doesn't need
much articulation to plow through deep goo.

I'm also not saying that Travelalls (or Ram QuadCab long boxes) don't make
great trail rigs... they can and do, but they are NOT the ideal *rock
crawler* or "tight and twisty trail" rig.... why do you think J**ps are so
popular?  Short wheel base, rather narrow... able to twist and turn through
the trees / rocks and over objects a bit better than a much longer vehicle.

Thus, when FourWheeler does a "new truck" test, though the Ram QCab and the
Cherokee Sport XJ may lift a tire the same amount, the XJ is a more suitable
trail rig than the RAM, and thus a higher RTI due to shorter wheelbase.

For another comparision... look at the Hummer.  Read last year's TTC in
FourWheeler.. the Hummer's articulation was horrible... 400-something... but
he could drive right off the end of the ramp w/o tipping.  The extra track
width didn't do much good in this situation either.

I've read FourWheeler trying to explain the RTI figures a few times.. and
this is at least similar to what their answers are... they never thought
it'd catch on like it has. :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 730RTI stock, 810RTI w/ 4" lift