NWBR, Monroe

  I got to Monroe yesterday afternoon, sunny high seventies.   An easy 45
minute drive from Seattle.  Didn't leave home until noon, I was putting my
new front diff together and couldn't find one of my locking hubs.  How do
you lose a locking hub?  (robbed one off an old Dana 27)

  Much bigger turnout than in previous years.  Lots of out of state plates.
 So many Scouts it was hard to spot old friends.  I kept looking for the
infamous Digest stickers, apparently they didn't get past the printers.

 Registered vehicles had the owner's name on the windshield.  I started
seeing some familiar Digest names.  The Digester's I met yesterday, in
order of appearance,  John Fleck,  John Hoffstetter, Ken Hitchcox, John
Landry, Tom Mandera, Joel Brodsky, Owen Miner  and Tom Harais.  There may
be some other Digest people here, but didn't meet them.   Maybe today.

  The schedule has a number of events like obstacle course, ramp, tractor
pull, etc today.  Some 4 wheeling and a scenic mountain trail ride planned
Monday.  The tractor pull is a favorite.  It's a weighted sled pulled on a
smooth dirt surface.  Scouts do well in the pull, but pay a price.  In past
years several NW Binders have limped home in front wheel drive only.  The
NWBR is held in conjunction with an antique tractor and gas engine show and
the pull event was intended for the tractors until a Scout owner tried it.
In general, the IH vehicles score higher than the tractors, the problem is
the casualties, broken drivelines and u-joints.  Tom Mandera and John Fleck
both tried the pull.  Considering the distance home for these two, they're
braver than myself.

  Gotta go now, still have to put in my newly acquired radiator and water
pump before heading back to Monroe.   There'll be some good stories when
the Disgester's get back to their computers.

Doug