Lifters and 5 speeds...

I wouldn't worry about putting new lifters into your engine with the old
cam, unless the cam was already ready for the recycle bin.  One of the
things that made the IH engines cool was their ability to be serviced
simply and easily.  Every serious IH person I have ever met has extolled on
the fact you can actually (with the proper tool) remove and replace the
lifters without pulling the intake manifold or anything....They were
DESIGNED to be replaced without tearing the engine down...

This doesn't discount about hardened surfaces not being what they used to
be, but IH cams were made REALLY hard compared to some aftermarket
replacements (witness stories of new cams wearing out in 3 weeks, etc) and
will probably withstand at least ONE lifter set change in its lifetime...

I put new lifters into my Scout II daily driver several months ago,and they
work like CHARM..no noise, and no sign of degraded performance (things have
actually picked up..)

I agreee with the comments on the IH 5 speeds, especially their inherent
"slowness"...They certainly were not designed to win at the dragstrip... my
dad commented that his old IH pickup with a T-35 in it was better off in a
field with a plow behind it...

However, I must counter these comments with the simple statement that IF
someone is seriously considering one of these transmissions, it is because
they understand the deeper benefits of having one hell of an overbuilt box
behind their engines!!!  MAN, that tranny combines simplicity with
strength....nothing like it these days....

Jason and Maria Colavecchia
1979 IH Scout II,  V304, modifications ongoing
1969 IH 1210D Travelall 3/4 ton, V345,  restoring slowly