Driving the 5 speed

Well, the truck is driveable with the 5 speed now.  Mind you,
my only recollection of a manual tranny pickup was my Dad's
67 Binder with a 4 speed, but he traded it for the one I have when
I was only 6 years old.  Here are some impressions for the few
other folks on the digest that are working on installing 5 speeds:

-No speed shifting allowed!  I guess a new 2/3 synchro might help,
but I have to go pretty slow, especially from 2 to 3.

-the overdrive 5 speed has 5th where 3rd is on a regular 'H' 4 speed,
which it tough to get used to, especially if you have a car with them
swapped.

-1st and reverse are very long throw on the shifter, from knocking
knuckles on the dash, to setting the knob on the seat for reverse.
The 6.xx 1st gear is REALLY low, and is a straight cut gear,so
it is real noisy.

-My engine spins faster when starting, I guess because it doesn't
turn the pump in the automatic now.  Seems to make it start
easier.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup
345-5 Speed OD-4x4