It just won't start now

Hi all,
  The 196 went in and was running enough to get me around the block
to test the clutch, etc, but it seemed like it was missing.  Today, I
put a timing light on it and the timing was brought back to about 5
deg BTDC, but the missing still continued.  By hooking the timing
light to each plug wire, I found that #1 fired regularly, 2 and 3
almost never, and #4 seemed close to normal. I popped the
distributor cap and the point gap looked to be about triple what the
manual calls for.  I reset it with the feeler guage to .016 but the
engine now refused to start.  I replaced the condensor with the one
off the 152 and have the nearly new cap and rotor off the same
engine.  The plug wires are brand new, even.  Should I have end-to-
end continuity on the coil wire (I didn't)?   I even tried the points
off the 152's distributor.  The 196's original parts were also tried,
with no luck.  I used a voltmeter on the points when they were
installed and found that even when they were open, there was
continuity (is that normal?) across the contacts.  They were gapped
to .016" and I could see daylight between them.  I put the timing
light on and only the #1 plug wire appears to have juice enough to
trigger the flash.  I'm barely qualified to call myself a shadetree
mechanic, so this one's got me stupified.  I ran out of daylight
before I got a chance to hold the ends of each wire near a ground
source to check for spark, so that's the only thing left I can think
of to try besides using the 196's original coil.  Oh yeah, the
terminal connections at the coil and on the starter solenoid are
tight.  I'm sure I've forgotten something, but the post is already
long enough.  Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Myron
'68 800 4x4 (now powered by a 196!)