Re: Glass Packs

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, Steve Stegmann
<stegmann@domain.elided> yelled:

>I did this last summer.  I installed Stans headers and two thrush
>glasspacks.  To get the pipe I bought straight pipe and some bends then
>just cut and welded the shapes to get the pipes I wanted.  I have no idea
>what the final measurements are.  John Landry did this too.

Instead of glass packs, I used a couple of "Cheery Bomb" high flow turbo
style mufflers.  I was worried the glass packs might be a bit too raspy for
my tastes.  The mufflers I did use have a nice throaty rumble at idle and
low rpms and luckily there's no drone at cruising speed.  The mufflers
measured maybe 13" wide x 6" thick x 18" long.  It's best to crawl under
the truck in advance and sort of plan out how you'll route things.  Take a
tape measure to see how much room you have for the mufflers.

I have stock manifolds and a 345 on a Traveler.  Going from memory, it took
about 15 feet of straight 2-1/4" OD exhaust tube purchased from a local
muffler shop, and 7 each u-shaped mandrel tubing bends (with 12" legs)
ordered from J.C. Whitney.  I installed the exhaust in more or less a stock
routing (exciting behind the rear wheels).  I used an air powered saw to
cut sections of straight and curved bends as needed.  Then with a MIG
welder, tacked and then welded the system together.  I did the actual
welding off the truck and fit installed the pieces afterward.  It came out
perfect thanks to the helpful e-mail advice from Steve Stegmann.

John
NOTE: To reply, replace "mouse-potato" with "halcyon" in e-mail address!
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model