Re: New Lifters

John:

I wouldn't fill the crankcase with kerosene for new lifters. I'd fill
them with oil or with kerosene as IH instructed, but no the whole
engine. I told you that so you'd know it's not unheard of.

As far as new lifters on a used cam: That depends on what kind of shape
the cam is in. I would suggest a new cam. Here's why. The camshaft is
surface hardened by nitriding the faces on the lobes where the lifters
ride. The nitriding is only a few thousandths deep. If it is worn and
you put on new lifters that are also hardened, they new, hard faced
lifters will wear the cam out in a hurry as you obsered on the SB Chevy.
Now, maybe someone on this digest will correct me if IHs are any
different, but I suspect they aren't.

In any case, if you end up having to do the job twice, you'll be buying
lifters twice and reopening the engine and all, so it will be a lot more
expensive than a new cam to go with those new lifters now. At least take
the cam to a machinist and get a qualified opinion.

Tom H.