T'all

*Michael wrote*

Gary-

Where do you live?  I live in San Francisco and have seen this
same one
in the "trader" there.  Did you talk him down, or was he asking
$1000.00
when you saw the ad.  The ad that ran up here was for $1200.00.
That
means that he has already dropped the price, and he ran the ad
up here
for three weeks, I think.  I know that greed is a terrible
thing, but I
would try to beat him down another $200.00 to $800.00.  These
things
scare most people to death because they are afraid they can't
find
parts.  And the people that do want them almost always seem to
want the
4WD.  Also, be forewarned that the '62-'67 T'all 2WD's were
sometimes
given the very rare 12" x 1 3/4" drum brakes.  These are ultra
rare, and
if you should ever need to replace a drum, it can be an absolute
nightmare!!!  I have a '68 4X4 that has them.  '68 was a
change-over
year to the new square style that they started in '69, so it
seems that
they used up a lot of left-over parts.  I seem to have gotten
the wierd
part everywhere possible.  The last time I had to get a drum in
this
size, it took 6 weeks to find one and it cost me $275.00 plus
shipping!!!  And that was 6 years ago.  All the IH people that I
ask for
them always just tell me to change out the drums-which would not
be a
big deal-to the 11" x 2" size, but I want this thing original
for as
long as I can afford it!  If yours has the weird ones and you
ever
change them to the regular size drums, I may buy the other ones
from
you-but I won't give you $275.00 for them!!!  I find too many
junked 2
WD's that have them now that I've been looking for years.  So
anyway,
just be forewarned of this possibility.  If the thing is
straight
without too many dents or too much rust, buy it for $1000.00 if
you have
to.  It probably has the 304 which is a great engine, and if
not, it
must have the 268 or whatever the hell it is.  I don't know if
they put
the 345 in that early or not.
Anyway, good luck and let me know what it looks like.  If he
doesn't
know what brake size it has, you might want to take a tire off
and look
just to be sure.
This is a good point ot tell him to try to get him to drop the
price!
Michael,
 I was wondering how do you measure the brake drums?

Gary Ciraulo
<twoblackdiamond@domain.elided>