Re: 6V to 12V

jan-3k@domain.elided wrote:

> I would appreashate it if UI could get some info on convertig 6v to 12v
> on my L-110. I'm thinking about it and if I do anymore work on my truck I
> want to keep that converson in mind.

        I guess my first question is why you want to convert.        The only
advantage is a little quicker start because of
        the higher voltage (same amount of current, just more
        "pressure" so to speak).

        As to converting, headlights, tail lights, interior bulbs
        and possibly fittings, starter, dash lights if any, radio
        if any, change from a generator to an alternator and
        the assiciated electronics for battery recharge.  You
        might also have to change the ignition a little, but I
        don't think so.

        If your looking for a quicker start, there is a way to
        rewire the starter for twelve volts and leave the rest
        of the system six.  Let me know.

> One point, I know I'm going to need to do some rewireing shoud I bump up
> the gauge of wire, (14 to 12) for example?

        Fourteen guage wire should be sufficient to handle        the higher
voltage, but if it's old, then I'd take a close
        look at the insulation.  If it's questionable, then change
        it.

        Later.

        Tom Francis (tomf@domain.elided)
        1953 R-132 @ six volts