Emission, timing- MD woes

..I feel for you brother. I know how frustrating that crap is! I also
know
how expensive it can get. I'm surprised the shop didn't just tell you to

leave it so they can run up a huge bill while they "fix it".

Having just failed emissions in my Honda CRX for the 2nd time, I'll tell
you this: I brought my Scout in to have the emissions done monday, and
passed with flying colors. The hydrocarbons were too high in the CRX and
short of a ring job I don't know what else I can afford to have done to
it to pass. I already had my mech replace the valve cover gasket and do
a comprehensive tune-up- when he pulled the VC he looked in and couldn't
believe the engine had 135K on it. But, I at least have 2 more years in
the Scout. Whew!

A funny aside: when I drove it up to the rollers to start the test, the
tech thought it was a Land Rover. I had to show him the original owner's
manual and registration for him to believe me.
--
Bill Dugan
bdugan@domain.elided