Mystery leak in '75 Travelall, revealed!

     Binders,

        Don't know if anyone remembers but a few weeks ago I wrote about a
     mystery oil leak that was wetting everything on the right side of the
     truck and gunking the entire earth!  Anyway, after about 47
     recommendations, and a collective 2.5 hours crawling under the truck,
     I diagnosed, and solved said problem.

        OK, it was a leak on the passenger side near the fuel pump right?
     IT WAS THE GOD**MN FUEL PUMP!  There is a breather hole in the side
     (actually it points to the rear of the truck) so that if the pump
     diphragm blows, it will vent the fuel outside instead of into the
     block.  Well, the seal between the pump actuator arm and the block
     base had a leak, and the engine oil pressure filled the back side of
     the diaphragm cavity and oil was leaking out of the breather hole.
     I'd lose about a quart in 2 weeks.

        I called about the pump and amazed at the price, I got it and put
     it in, and it's a lifetime warranty, and no core charge, and it was
     only:

     $13.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     My GOD, if only the other IH parts were so cheap!

        Problem solved, sprayed the degreaser and the engine bay, and frame
     rails are clean again!  I'm getting closer to that first place at the
     rocky mountain roundup.

        Thanks to all involved and I still have a working (emergency) fuel
     pump should it be called upon in Podunk, USA.

     Now on a side note about my incredibly low oil pressure (off scale
     low!), I changed the oil with stright 40wt. last night (since it's so
     freaking hot here) and bingo the pressure is back.  The needle drops
     to around the peg at idle but I get a solid 1/4 scale on run, and no
     clicks!  I'm a happy binder driver!  Didn't have time to check the
     Transfer Case light, but it continues to flicker with the pressure
     reading high, so that light must have a pinched wire somewhere.  The
     other question is:  Since the light continues to work with normal
     operation of the TC shift lever, does the TC light switch make a
     ground, or does it make 12v?  It would appear that it makes a ground,
     and that the pinch merely momentarily makes ground.  If itmade 12v,
     and there was a pinch, it wouldn't light the bulb and would blow a
     fuse?  Errors in reasoning?  Please inform.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals