Re: Spring over conversion.

>I am considering a spring over conversion on my '79 Scout II.  Has
>anyone done this?

Lots of folks! :-)

Bill Thebert did a GREAT write-up on what it takes in the IH-FAQ, @
http://www.binderbulletin.com

>What about ...
>Driveline geometry, Driveline length, Shock length, and Steering
>linkage?

You'll want to point both pinions (front/rear) directly at the transfer
case, and run a CV-joint at the t'case end.  This means new driveshafts
front and rear.  Measure the lengths *after* the suspension is done.. it
might be different for anyone doing this mod.

That means you'll measure shock lengths after working out the spring stuff, too.

Steering linkage - call up Giddum Up, or Gryphin, or RockHard, and order a
"Z" drag-link to do the 5" or so drop on the steering knuckle.

All of this also means you'll need to cut and twist the knuckles on the
front axle - Jim Weed (www.off-road.com/~jweed) has a great description of
how to do this.

Then there's all the other stuff.. like moving the spring perches from the
bottom to the top.  Easy enough, except for the passenger side on a Dana 44
axle.  You'll have to grind the differential housing down to make room for
the spring perch.

>Anything I forgot?

Read Bill's FAQ.. it answers most of the questions.

You'll also want to be aware of pinion lube issues.. you can try using a
reverse cut Dana 44 diff cover with the higher fill plug, or have a custom
(or order a special) diff cover made to keep the lube over the pinion bearing.

This also means you'll need to run breather hoses on the diff vents so the
lube can heat up, and expand into the breather, vs. blowing out the little
metal cap that's on the axle from the factory.

Are you planning to do anything else, like a Reversed front Shackle, maybe a
buggy spring (3/4 eliptic) or other mod while you're under there?

-Tom