Durango Man's starter

Durango Man,

I've been following your saga with the starter and I might
have missed something, but what condition are the heavy
battery cables in?  If they are old, or even (shudder)
original equipment, get new ones of the heaviest gauge you
can afford.  I think I bought 6 ga for my Scout cuz I'm
cheap.  I don't have any trouble even at sub-zero
temperatures.  Make sure the connections are really shiny,
and the battery terminals are also shiny.  I imagine you've
already done this, but I missed the post if you talked about
it.

That said, I had a starter for my old Honda Prelude that
would just spin when I hit the start switch.  It kept
getting more and more frequent until I took it in to Auto
Zone for testing.  It tested fine, but I told the kid that
the overrunning clutch was bad.  He gave me a new starter,
and now the old Prelude starts up great.  Your problem is,
however that your starter just clicks, or just kinda groans,
yes?  ...really sounds like bad connections (the heavy ones)
to me if the starter checks out okay.  Starters draw a lot
of amps, and need really good connections.

I'm really sleepy when I read the list sometimes, and I
might miss stuff.

Doug