Converting to Discs As I Type This

>All it would be worth to me is a couple of front backing plates,
>disc calipers, and hoses.
>I've been through the tech files but still can't decide if
>I want to try the brake conversion. I mean, come on - those are J**P parts
>we are talking about.

Actually, they're GM parts.  I'm in the middle of converting my '72 RHD 2wd
Scout right now.  Yes, for those of you with *long* memories, I'm
officially "back on" this project after having completed a complete kitchen
remod for the S.O.  Anyway, the backing plates, whether you get 'em from a
Full Size Blazer/Jimmy or FS Wagoneer are GM parts with a GM part #.  So is
the master cylinder.  In fact, the master cylinder you use is the same one
as used on a regular disc braked equipped Scout and is a Delco unit
(rebuilt, for about $10).  Also, the calipers are GM as well, but there a
coupla different kinds you have to pick from.  Even when you get the
*right* one, there is still some grinding to be done on both the caliper
(yikes, but be careful) and the knuckle (grinding confirmed by telecon to
John Comer of Gryphin racing waaay last summer).  Anyway, I just received
the Aeroquip catalog so's I can elegantly get the hoses to work out.  That
and a Summit variable proportioning valve, and that's pretty much the
special stuff.  You use Scout disc brake rotors and hubs.  Anyway, after I
finish this (hopefully within a month) I'm gonna post all part numbers,
prices, etc. with a detailed description to the FAQ.

Stay Tuned

Tom Lang
Augusta, GA

>In the middle of South Carolina with a --

Whaaaat?  Where?  In that case, you have a standing invitation to *come
over* and look at the finished product yourself!

Tom (too many IH's) Lang

Greetings my friend, we are all interested in the future, for
that is where you and I are going to spend the *rest* of our
lives.  And remember my friend, future events such as these
will effect *you* in the future.

--Criswell Predicts, from Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space"