304 Rebuild $

I am having my 304 completely rebuilt by a licensed mechanic that I know
pretty well. He has quoted me $2,200 including all parts and labor. Before
he gets too far into it I was wondering if I could get some input from you
guys on this.
  Is $2,200 a reasonable price ?
  Can I by a short block and have him complete the rebuild for less ?
  Does anyone know if / where I can purchase a 304 that has already been
rebuilt ?
  Any other options ?

I know what you're thinking...."Tim, why don't you get in there and do it
yourself ?"  Well I just don't have the time right now and I was hoping to
have the truck back in March, so I can start the body work (I'll do that
myself). Also I know it's no excuse but I've never done an engine job that
complicated before.

Oh, I just remembered, can I have a better cam put in than the "original
design" without too much extra cost ? any recommendations ?

Any help for a rookie would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Eckhoff       heathertim@domain.elided
Decatur. MI
1975  150  4 X 4