Exhausts continue

Ken,

     I've never really understood the process of scavenging in a
4-stroke engine.  In 2-cycle's it's easier to understand.  The
way I saw it, the tri-y's are what 1 inch? each cyl.?  I have the
factory manifold which outlets 2-1/4 inches.  True, you do have
the greater volumetric efficiency at the cyl exhaust port, but
what about the y's?  After all is said and done you reduce the 4-
1" ports to a 2- 1/4, an increase from 3.14 sqin to 3.97 sqin.
If the exhaust ports are larger than you actually end up with a
reduction in size from the ports to the y.  For the best
volumetric efficiency the outlet should increase and this is not
the case.  Since I still have the factory manifolds, they are
only ~20" long for the front cyls, and almost ~4" for the rears.
The 2-1/4s: left is about 3 feet, the right comes under the trans
and is about 6 feet.  Into the 3" the area the x-area is 7.07
sqin.  So the restriction is nil.  How do we tell if the
throughput of the tri-ys is greater than the factory mani's to
3"?

     It seems like the T'all really moves, it's actually faster
than my scout.

     I think I got a better deal since I didn't put on a cat, I
hear the 3" cats are huge $$$.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.