Fuel tank opinions...

Binders,

Here's the issue:

Two weekends ago while wheeling with the Sonora Desert Scouts, I
dingered my T'all a bit.  First let me mention that I was the
only full-size rig there, and there were 16 scouts of various
vintages.

     Anyway, wheeling was fine until the last 100 foot streambed
drive where the golden BB rock found the way to bump by brand new
3" exhaust through the left rear 1/4 panel, and put the tinyest
pinhole in the bottom of my 21 gal main tank in the left rear
fender.

     Took the tank out last night after doing the t-stat on the
scout, and checked it over.  Looks like the hole is part of a
larger rusty area about 1/4" wide and 2" long.  Must have been
rubbing on something over time as the steel is very thin there
alone.  I poked around and the plan is to patch it tonight.

DISCLAIMER:  Though it is not recommended, over a span of ten
years or so, I have on several occasions been known to fill a
tank with water and perform the most fantastic of tank patches
with all manner of flamed devices. Oxy-Acetylene is the favorite
with steel or brass, and solder for those pesky pinholes.  Please
hold the comments on: I'll blow myself up, that's really
hazardous, you're gonna die/put an eye out/ hurt others/ hurt an
IH.

     That being said, does anyone here that has performed such an
insane task, have a preference for braze over weld?  Solder won't
play because the hole is too large, and solder isn't structural.

     The other question is about the sending unit that is side
mounted in the tank.  It is a Chrysler (judging by the nifty
dodge style pentagon on it) and the numbers are:  04091   and
356944-C1.  JohnL what are the scale resistances for the sender,
I was gonna make a resistor/pot network to correct for errors.
Howard are any still available and from where?

     I think I am going to need the gasket for the sender/tank
union and if I can get a new sender I'll do that too.  It has the
long angled pickup pipe that is about 12" out with a 5" right
angle section on the end.  Anyone know if this is available
anymore?

     I need the answers today if possible.  I was planning a trip
this wknd and need to have this fixed by Wed night.

     Thanks to everyone for prompt repsonses.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.