Dashpot etc on Carbs

Howdy again,

I'm just feeling chatty and inquisitive today, so here goes another
question or two.

The throttle stop/dashpot on the driver's side of the carb, that is
supposed to keep the beast from backfiring under heavy decel mode.  Was
it there because of the engine or the carb that they selected?  If you
went with an aftermarket carb ( oh, lets say a holley spread bore) would
you need to remount the dashpot assembly?

Also on connectors.  Can/should you use dielectric grease on all
electrical connections?  How about down at the starter, once you get the
connections cleaned up?  I guess the heat at the starter may be a bit
much.  What about other places to make sure the connection doesn't
corrode?

Thanks,    that's all for now,   well,   at least till lunch <bg>

Epp