Re: towing

>The brackets that I need to attach to the bumper
>bolt on with one bolt each. Does this current setup seem
>strong enough if I were just to drill a hole through the front
>of the bumper for each bracket and secure the brackets with
>grade 8 bolts? OR, should I get some angled support brackets
>made that would bolt through or weld to the frame tubes?? In
>my mind, these support brackets would have 2 45 degree angles
>in them, and then one flat side would be welded or bolted to
>the frame tube, and the other flat side would run along the
>back of the bumper. I would then mount the tow bar bracket
>so that the bolt would pass through the bumper and this new
>fabricated bracket.... Thoughts???
>
>The other question regards strapping down the steering wheel
>during the actual tow. Is this something that needs to be
>done, or does the caster of the front wheels on the vehicle
>in tow work to keep them tracking straight behind the tow
>vehicle.
>
>TIA for your help,
John,
If I understand what you have said correctly, it sounds to me as if you
could drill through the bumper and attach the tow bar to the bumper, but
I would put a backing plate in the bumper and then use the grade 8 bolts.
The longer the backing plate inside the bumper, the stronger your setup
would be.

You don't want to strap down the steering wheel, and you want to make
sure that you don't have the steering column locked.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"