Re: Getting out of 4 hi or 4lo

>It appears we have the same vehicle ('75 SII, 727, D20), and a simiar
>grinding noise.  I have seen sales brochures from IH that advised dealers
>on how to shift in and out of 4lo.
>
>Come to a complete stop
>Shift the transmission slowly through the gears
>While shifting the transmission, put pressure on the transfer case stick
>Do not jam it in
>Repeat process to go into 2hi
>
>I actually have yet to try this.  I have not had a need for 4lo in a while
>and that grinding noise really makes me sick with worry, so I would rather
>not fool around with it too much.  Let me know if this works.
>
>Bill Wisser

Getting into 4hi shouldn't be much of a problem, as by adjusting the
engine speed a little so that you have momentary lack of torque to the
transfer case, it should slip easily into 4hi from 2hi. Unless you have
automatic hubs or have already locked the hubs in, this may be pointless
anyway because when you stop to put the hubs in, you might as well go to
4hi while standing still, or maybe better yet while just starting to
move. I always fully stop to get into 4lo and usually shut off the engine
while doing it. There's no synchromesh in those transfer case gears.
Getting out of either 4hi or 4lo requires, at least for me, the kind of
process Bill describes, or in some cases, backing the vehicle up 30 feet
or so while putting a little pressure on the lever. But again, when I
come out of 4lo, I shut off the engine to get into 2hi from N. It seems
to me that if you think about it, at least with an auto tranny and with
the engine running, one gear is turning and the other is not, and you're
trying to finesse one into the other. Tough to do. Why is that gear
turning if the tranny is in N ? I don't know, I guess its because there
is so little resistance that the tranny is still turning its output shaft
even in N. Ever start your car up in N and have it still want to move a
little?
All right you guys, jump all over me!
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"