Re: N to 2Hi

>With the recent snows, I've had a lot of use for 4wd lately.  I can shift
>easily into 4hi moving at moderate speeds, but I have a hard time shifting
>in and out of 4 lo.  I come to a stop, and can shift into 4lo with some
>difficulty, but when shifting back to 2hi, I get a terrible grinding.
>Actually, this happens whenever I try to go from N to 2hi.  I can
>eventually get it in by force, but obviously I don't like to do it this
>way.
>
>What gear should the tranny be in while shifting from N to 2hi on the
>tcase?  I've tried it in every gear with the same results, except in Park,
>I get a fast "ticking" sound.  I don't know what's going on, but it's
>keeping me from putting the tcase into neutral, which means I can't go to
>4lo.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the tcase?
>
>I have a stock '75 SII with 727 and Dana20?

Not that being old makes me right, but I've been driving IHC vehicles
longer, much longer in some cases, Tom, than a lot of you have lived.
Even after all those years, I stop, shut off the engine and shift into 2
Hi. I've had suggestions over the years, but this is the way I do it
because fooling around sometimes works, but usually I have to do it this
way anyway. Just don't depend on Park holding you on the 45degree grade,
while you shut off the engine to make the change. I personally don't
think there is anything wrong with either you or your tcase.
John

>Thanks,
>
>Rob

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"