Hammerite Paint Info

Reapers (Harvesters),

I just had a nice conversation with Al Eddy in the Engineering Department
at Parker Paints in Tacoma, WA... the US manufacturer of Hammerite paint.
Parker Paint is maybe a mile from where I work!

For starters, it turns out that "Williams Holdings," a British company owns
both Parker Paint and Hammerite, Ltd. (among other companies).  Parker
Paint was picked to be the North American manufacturer of the Hammerite
brand paints by Williams, but in England, Hammerite, Ltd. manufactures the
paint.

Hammerite paint was patented over 100 years ago.  It got its real boost as
a paint for undercarriage assemblies of most major British car companies
including Rolls, Bentley, Triumph, Rover, etc.  It was originally designed
so that it did not require a primer and could paint over firm rust.  Quite
a breakthrough when first invented... more common now.

Hammerite paints are generally available in three finishes... of course the
"hammered" look, smooth and a satin.  Some colors aren't available in all
finishes.  Typically you won't find all finishes at all stores because of
the sheer variety when you get into the finishes, colors and package sizes
(aerosol can, quarts or gallons, etc.).  It is *not* available in a clear
finish.

Hammerite is a quick drying alkalite type paint (I have no idea what this
means)... it's not an epoxy.  It contains microscopic glass flakes which
interlock together in the paint base to form a very hard, smooth and
durable surface finish.  Depending on the environmental conditions, it
takes about 5 or 6 weeks to fully cure.  When completely cured, it is very
hard and non-flexible.

Because it cures hard and non-flexible, Parker Paint doesn't not recommend
it for use on areas which are known to flex.  Painting a vehicle body with
it is fine, although not the original intended use.  But be warned that you
can expect stress cracking of the finish if the body panels flex.  The
engineer at Parker Paint thought that Hammerite would be great for a heavy
duty American made 4x4 application such as a Binder, but probably isn't a
good idea on a newer thin bodied imported vehicle... unless you don't care
about the tiny stress cracks in the finish.  He says parker Paint has heard
from many 4x4 clubs seeking quantity discounts, etc. and he knows of
several local clubs that have made extensive use of it.  I recall someone
at last years NW Binder Roundup had painted their whole truck with
Hammerite.

Hammerite *does not* neutralize rust!  It does a good job sticking to firm
rust and sealing it away from moisture to prevent future rust.  But if
moisture can get at the rust from say the rear of the panel, it will
continue to rust underneath the Hammerite layer.

Re-painting something like a locking hub?  Hammerite does not adhere well
to the closed pore surface of aluminum alloy, galvanized or zinc treated
metals.  With those surfaces, the engineer at Parker Paint said the metal
should first be painted with a common and readily available DAP product
called "Galvagrip."  Once the Galvagrip has dried, then Hammerite is
applied normally.  Doing this will significantly extend the life of the
Hammerite finish.

Hammerite is not recommended for use in areas submerged continuously in
water.  It's also not recommended in areas exposed to oil or warm solvents
or continuously in cold solvents.

Parker Paint says Hammerite is gaining in popularity and is available
through most larger home hardware supply chains.  Ace / True Value is one
of their biggest customers and has stores nation wide, so it should be
available just about anywhere.

Personally I think the stuff is great.  I sense a Hammerite painted vehicle
in my future someday... the "hammered" look of course!

Enjoy,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)