Re: Tom's four link suspension.

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, jeff tarquinio wrote:

> Actually, I had a different idea, if you had one set of links on top
> of the axletube close to center, then going back in a V shape to the
> frame rails, then another set of links on the bottom, but they meet in
> the center of the frame rails underneath and go out to the yokes in an
> opposing V, that would locate the axle and without the locating 5th
> link.  The more I visualize that, I think it might work.  I have never
> seen it used though.  I've looked at how different racing vehicles
> optimize suspension for application, but have never seen that.  I
> think there is GM passenger car that uses this on the back axle, maybe
> on old grand prix's or something.

I found a very similar setup under my '83 Mustang GT when I changed the
rear end.  Almost any late '70's thru early '90's rear wheel drive
mid-size Ford is probably the same.  The rear end I put in came from a
'90 Mustang, so I know they were still using it then.  Take a gander
under one sometime and see how it's made.

I saw a writeup on a 4-link rear suspension in a 4WD rag (sorry, don't
remember which one) a year or so ago.  I'm pretty sure it was on a
Scout, even.  He put shackles at both ends of the rear springs so they
didn't interfere with axle movement.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783