Wheels and Brakes..

IH All,

Tried taking a look at the front brakes on the '59 A-102 last night.
Followed the instructions in the manual... Grease cap off... cotter pin
pulled... locking nut removed... outer wheel bearing off... and finally tried
taking the wheel off.   Found, however, that the back edge of the wheel
started dragging (really tight) on the pads.. like pounding with a hammer
hard barely moved it tight..    The manual did not address this issue.   So I
got to thinking... "I have to drive this thing to work tomorrow.. if I force
this wheel off, I may never get it back on.. better ask the guys."

So, the question.  It does not seem to me that this really tight fit should
be happening... I guessed that the brake return springs might be shot and
that is why the pads are farther out than they should be?  OR, is this normal
when removing a wheel?  And if it is... how do you get the wheel back on?..
seems light you would have to compress the pads somehow to make the initial
room for sliding on the wheel?  Or is that what the that little 'star'
adjustment screw is for that you have to access through a little hole in the
back plate?  Which raises another question - there is a cover on that little
slot of a hole... that I did not feel like breaking while forcing it off.. is
there a trick to removing that little cover?

Wow.. that turned into a few questions.   Would appreciate any opinions.

THANKS! -Jeffrey :-)
'58 A-102 Grandpa's Farm Truck