Battery Manufacturers

>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 98 10:58:33 -0800
>From: <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Battery Manufacturers
>
>>Subject: Battery Mfrs
>>
>>O.K. guys (and gals?) who is the 'other'
>>battery manufacturer?  Please educate me!
>>
>>Allan Weidenheimer
>>72 1210 Pickup
>
>Allan,
>GMB (I think those are the correct initials) makes most of the rest of
>the batteries sold in the US. They must make nearly half if not more than
>half. Exide also may still be manufacturing their own batteries. In a
>post to me, one of our digest friends told me that none of the PEP boys
>$29.95 batteries are made by Johnson, and that must surely mean that they
>are made by GMB. Johnson told him that they can't, or won't,make a
>battery that can be sold at that price. I'm paraphrasing what I think he
>said, and I hope I didn't exaggerate what he was told.
>John Hofstetter

Absolutely Exide makes their own batteries!  We've got one of Exide's Super
Plants located twenty minutes from my house in Bristol, TN.  Exide also
manufactures all of the Case and Case/IH MagnaPower batteries, the 'famous'
Nascar brand of battery, and many other manufacturers OEM agricultural
batteries.

Also, that Super Plant manufactured one HECK of a smoke cloud when their
primary production area burned down this past Christmas :).  Took 'em two
whole weeks to get back to limited production!?!

Who the heck is GMB, anyway?  I've never heard of them...

Denni
'73 Scout II, V-304, TF727, Dana 20, all wheeling near an Exide town :)