Re: idle problem

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded William M Wisser
<wmw@domain.elided> whispering:

>John, thanks for your response.  I thought it was a vacuum leak so I
>changed every vacuum hose, and added hose clamps at every port.  That is
>why I asked earlier about the deceleration modulator or whatever that is,
>because the hoses are hooked up, but the wires are cut.
>
>So, no vacuum leak, and I am working on the timing.  I can never seem to
>get it exactly right for some reason.  If you think that's what it is,
>I'll have a pro check the timing.

Well... if the timing is too retarded, it can make for a very weak engine.
It may idle ok but then can die upon putting into gear.  Can you explain
what you mean that you "can't get it exactly right"?  Do you mean that when
you set it doesn't stay the same?  Or does it vary all over the place
(scatter)?  Dumb question... you are checking the timing on the number 8
spark plug wire?

Did you verify that your vacuum advance is working properly?  Have you
tried to suck through the vacuum advance hose?  While the engine is idling,
suck on the vacuum advance hose (or use a hand vacuum pump) and you should
see the timing advance by up to 13 degrees or so.  You could have a vacuum
leak through the vacuum advance too ya know even though the hose is good.
Check that.

Again, how are your breaker-points, condenser and coil?

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)