distributors

Harvesters,

My ignition plans for the future have included going back to a points
distributor.  This is mostly to remove the Gold Box from the loop, which I
want to get rid of for various reasons.  Partly for reliability, but mostly
just because I want to have full understanding of *every* part on my truck
-- which of course is part of reliability.  This might not be a good reason
to get rid of a currently perfectly functioning part, but I want to
nonetheless.  I'm sure some of you can understand -- how many times have
you taken apart a functioning part "just to see how it works"?

Anyway, until a few days ago, I had planned to get the Mallory dual points
distributor described by Steve (Stegmann?).  The (apparently false) news
that Mallory was going out of business prompted me to think again.   At
about the same time, someone mentioned that they'd seen a new dist. at Napa
for $93.   As I recall, the Mallory dist was more like $200.

Could someone explain the difference?  Why is one twice as much as the
other?  Do they have different timing curves?  I'd like to get part numbers
for both of these, so that I'll have them at hand when I decide to do this
(in the next few months.)

Thanks

Rob

'75 SII, 727, 345